February 3, 2012

altering a thrift store sweater! {before and after}

I gave this thrifted sweater new life by making it v-neck as well as shortening and slimming down the sleeves! I like the dolman sleeve effect! I love this camel color as well as the stripes! Ah...love me some stripes! I shortened the sleeves like I did in this tutorial and sewed simple seams down the sleeves of the sweater to slim them up. All I did for the v-neck was trace my V- shape with fabric chalk, sew a straight line on my chalk line (to keep it from stretching or unraveling), then cut out the excess neck fabric (that mock turtle neck part) about 1/4 inch away from my stitch line. Then I just folded under once and sewed it down with a straight stitch.. I even did it in black thread..probably not the best color choice because the line is visible..but it kind of recedes down into the knit so I don't think it's that noticeable! This was my simple rainy evening project and now I've got a new-to-me-sweater! So go on, find a thrift store sweater, and make it awesome!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Each of your comments brighten my day and make me smile! Thanks for reading!

Pin It button on image hover